A Bit About Me . . .!

Hello, My name is Emily Alford. I am a junior at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Secondary Education/English and hope to teach 9th or 10th grade when I graduate! After I start teaching, I plan on getting my Masters Degree. I am very excited to share my ideas and creativity with you all!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Field Trips

What happened to high school students being able to go on a field trip or two? My elementary and middle school years were filled with field trips. We went to zoos, aquariums, learning center's, picnics at the park, and more! We had fun! In 8th grade we even took a class trip to Six Flags in Atlanta, Georgia. During high school, I went on one field trip- a career fair. That was it.
My 1st semester of junior college at Faulkner State Community College, I had an Earth Science professor organize a class field trip that took place on a Saturday and was free of charge (we brought our own lunches). He provided transportation that took us on a tour all the way around Mobile Bay. We met at Fort Conde in Spanish Fort and made our way to Dauphin Island. We took the Ferry across the bay to Fort Morgan and ate our sack lunches while looking out over the beautiful water. Then we made our way back to Spanish Fort stopping along the way in different location to observe and learn on our very own bay. I have lived here my entire life and had never taken the time to go see the things I saw that day.
The trip was completely optional, but the professor did announce that on our Final Exam, there would be a "bonus" question that only the students who went on the trip would know the correct answer to. If you got the answer correct, you made an automatic "A" on the exam! That was beyond the most fun and educational trip I ever went on... and yes I made an A!

No comments:

Post a Comment